With my sweet tooth, I am always trying to find ways to make baked goods that won’t make me feel guilty about eating, and these peanut butter cookies are the ideal healthy treat. Perfect for breakfast on the go, a post-workout snack, or a sweet treat to take along to your next gathering. Not only do my husband and I love them, but our 1-year-old son and Boxer dogs can’t get enough! The good news? They’re quick and easy to make, the ingredients are pantry staples that you’ll probably have on hand, and they are healthy for the whole family…toddler and dogs included! Another benefit? The more exposure little ones have to peanuts/peanut butter, the less likely of a chance for peanut allergies to develop. This soft, good-for-you cookie is a great way for your little one to experience peanut butter without added sugar.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup local honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- With a food processor, grind oats into flour like consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Roll dough into balls (I do about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons in size for reference) and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Lightly press down on each dough ball with a fork.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown and small cracks begin to form.
- The yield is about 1 and 1/2 dozen (depending on the size dough balls you make).
- These cookies can get overdone quickly so be sure to keep an eye on them as they bake.
- Stir in festive sprinkles or dark chocolate chips for variation. We added red, white, and blue sprinkles to the dough for a 4th of July treat!
- If made with no chocolate added, be sure to share a cookie with your furry friend! The oats and peanut butter are good for them too!
- Get the little ones involved: Julian’s favorite part was pressing the button on the Ninja to grind our oats up into flour!
We hope your whole family enjoys these healthy peanut butter cookies as much as we do! Have fun baking and indulging without the guilt!